Down through the years the supermodified division has sent a good number of guys to Indianapolis Motor Speedway and what is now known simply as IndyCar racing.
We’ve compiled what we think is a pretty thorough list of drivers that got their start, and/or, spent a good deal of time in a supermodified and then made laps at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and/or, in an Indy car, (Gold Crown, Champ Car, CART, or whatever other name you choose to call it), at least once in their career.
Much of this information has been gleaned from personal conversations with the drivers themselves as well as people that were involved with the drivers careers and/or had first hand knowledge of the drivers listed and their advancement to the upper echelons of motor sport from the supermodifieds.
Jimmy Ferlito, Curt Kern, Jim Belfiore, Gene Lee Gibson, Pat York, Gerald Laurie, Russ Conway, Steve Miller, Stan Fuller of the Idaho Historical Racing Society and Donald Davidson through his show “The Talk of Gasoline Alley” have been indispensable in the compilation of this list. Where things were cloudy and memories weren’t perfect, we resorted to the internet and those sources are listed below and while no longer around, the Daniels Boys site on CAMRA was a phenomenal source of information as CAMRA sent more supermodified racers than any other group to The Speedway.
The names are listed alphabetically. We’ve added the driver’s home state and plan on adding the years in which they raced supers as well as IndyCar. We also hope that if anyone has anymore drivers that they’d like to add or see ones that need edited that they’d let us know. Accuracy is vitally important to us.
- Gary Allibritain; OH; 1976
- Chuck Ciprich; PA; 1983-1984
- Ed Crombie-Williams Lake, BC, CAN; 1976-1977
- Doug Didero; ONT, CAN; 1999-2000
- Paul Durant; CA; 1996-1998
- Chet Fillip; TX; 1982-1985
- Billy Foster; BC, CAN; 1964-1966
- Todd Gibson; OH; 1969-1979
- Joe Gosek; NY; 1996
- Bob Gregg; MN; 1950, 1960, 1969-1970
- Davey Hamilton; ID; 1991-2011
- Ken Hamilton; ID; 1981-1982
- Doug Heveron; NY; 1983
- Cliff Hucal; BC, CAN; 1977-1981
- Gordon Johncock; MI; 1965-1992
- Ron Lux; NY; 1966; (1965 Oswego Speedway Champion. Ran three races -Trenton, Milwaukee, Atlanta. Attempted to qualify for Indianapolis 500 but USAC said he needed more experience. Died in sprint car race on July 16, 1966)
- Jim Malloy; CO; 1967-1972 (Ran four Indianapolis 500 Mile Races -1968, ’69, ’70, ’71. Died while attempting to qualify for 1972 race)
- James MacElreath, Jr.; TX; 1977 (While James didn’t specifically race a supermodified he competed in open comp shows with the supers while racing a sprint car)
- Wally Pankratz; CA; 1981
- Art Pollard; UT; 1965-1973
- Eldon Rasmussen; ALB, CAN; 1971, 1973-1979
- Tim Richmond; OH; 1979-1980
- Sammy Sessions; MI; 1965-1975
- Dick Simon; UT; 1969-1995
- Blaine Sneva; WA; 1979-1980
- Jan Sneva; WA; 1979-1982
- Jerry Sneva; WA; 1977-1982
- Tom Sneva; WA; 1974-1992
- George Snider; CA; 1965-1987
- Randy Tolsma; ID; 1996
- Billy Vukovich III; CA; 1988-1990
- Bentley Warren; ME; 1970-1975
References for this page: